Applying for a Social Security Card as a Foreigner

If you want to work in the United States, but are not a citizen, then having a social Security Number can be extremely important. If you are a permanent resident in the United States, you are required to have a Social Security Number (SSN) and accompanying card. If you are an immigrant and want to apply for a Social Security, there are different ways to do this. It is wise to understand the application process before you submit your materials.

Planning is critical before you decide to apply for a Social Security Number for foreigners. There are a number of ways you can submit your application for a Social Security card. Being prepared will make the process smoother and easier. You may need to do research about how you want to apply for a Social Security card as an immigrant in advance.

How to Apply for an SSN When You Get a Visa

Whether you are applying for a work authorized immigration status or not, you can apply for an SSN when you submit your visa application. Depending on the type of visa you have, there are different types of Social Security cards you can receive. When you apply for your visa, you can use Form DS-230, the Application for Immigration Visa and Alien Registration. Or you might use the digital version of Form DS-260, the Immigrant Visa Electronic Application, to apply.

Regardless of the application you use, it is easy to apply for an immigrant visa and Social Security Number with the same form. As you are filling our this document make sure to mark that you want your application materials shared with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you qualify for a Green Card and Social Security Number, these will be sent to you after you apply. You should expect to receive your Social Security card within three weeks from when you arrive in the United States.

How to Apply for an SSN at the Social Security Office

If you are an immigrant, you may also apply for an SSN at your nearest Social Security Office. When you report to this office, bring your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card with you. Also, you can bring your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV). Plus bring your birth certificate. If you are applying for children in your family, make sure you also bring their birth certificates. If you have any questions, you can contact the local personnel at the nearest Social Security Office.