Requesting a Social Security Card Name Change

If you decide to legally change your name, you will need to request a Social Security card name change. The Social Security Administration (SSA) wants to maintain accurate records for cardholders. Thus, you must inform Social Security representatives if you decide to change your name. This is a simple process whether changing the last name on your Social Security card or the first.

It may seem difficult or daunting to change your name on your Social Security card, but in reality it is pretty straight forward. If you plan on using your card as an ID, it must reflect your current legal name. Therefore, if changing your name is in your future, it is important that you learn how to file your Social Security card name change form.

Can I change my name on my Social Security card online?

No, you cannot complete this task from a computer. You must either mail or hand-deliver your application to a Social Security office near you. However, it is possible to obtain a copy of the Social Security name change application online.

What are the documents needed to change my name on a Social Security card?

You will need a couple of specific documents when you are changing your name on your Social Security card. The Social Security Admin. will use these items to prove that you qualify to receive a card. Regardless of whether you are requesting a Social Security card name change due to marriage or another reason, you must submit proof of:

  • Identity. You need to submit an official document that proves you are using a new name like a copy of your driver’s license, state ID card or federal passport.
  • Age. Usually, you cannot request a new Social Security card for a name change unless you submit your passport. However, you may be able to receive a new card if you can deliver or show a hospital record of your birth or a religious document issued before you were five years of age.
  • Citizenship. To verify your citizenship, you must bring your U.S. birth certificate or passport.

What is the cost to change my name on my Social Security card?

There is no cost to file an application to change your Social Security card name. You are only required to pay the associated postage fee if applicable.